Sunday, November 19, 2006

I GOT A PS3

I GOT A PS3

BUT NO ONE WANTS TO BUY IT. THE PRICES DROPPED SO FAST :(

Oh well, it was an experience I enjoyed and will never do again! Let me try to recap here:

Thursday. My friend and I get a room at the Marriott Hotel @ the Copley mall in Boston. We got a double for about $250. We met up at 6ish and went over to Cheesecake Factory to grab some food. I had a crabcake sandwich w/fries, a mango smoothie type drink, and an oreo cheesecake, yummy. We head back up and I play some cards on the comp for awhile, and then I take a nap at 10:30pm. No one is allowed to line up inside the mall, the guards won't let them. They don't want loiterers. I take a nap around 10:30pm and wake up 1 hour later to find that 2 more people are in the room. There are now 5 of us in total. They're all Shawn's friends, I only know one of them cuz he was shawn's roommate last year. The only girl there decides she wants to leave. She got scared? Afraid that she'd get hit in the face? And this is someone who played field hockey before! Pansy! Well she left and it was just the 4 of us.

I then hear that people are actually lined up outside of the hotel. Shawn's worried but I'm not. Those guys aren't allowed to camp inside the hotel because they're not guests, we still have the closest spots. Oh ya, it's raining outside, I feel kind of bad for the campers. THey're not going to get a ps3 and they're soaking wet. Well, I can't sleep so Shawn's friend teaches us Chinese Poker (I don't think it's really Chinese Poker but it's interesting). You deal out all the cards and then the person w/the 3 of diamonds starts the game. He can put down a single card, a pair, or a straight/flush hand. So you have to put down 1, 2, or 5 cards. THe next person, if he wants to put down a card, has to put down teh same # of higher value or he can pass. Goal is to get rid of all ur cards, oh and 2 is the highest card. It was a lot of fun, well I thought so, I kept winning the majority of games, haha.

5am - I forgot to mention that earlier that day Shawn met someone at the Sony store who had a connection with one of hte guards. I guess they live in the same building? Or he's a cousin of his friends? Anyhow Shawn gets his # and the kid says he'll hook us up. We send Joel to go with the kid so at 5am they meet up. 10 mins later we get a call back, sounds like the guard ditched them! He took the money, ran out, and shut the door behind him so now they're waiting in the dark. wth? It's 5:25am now and we go downstairs to line up. Oh god there's lots of people. Thanh and I (pronounce his name Tang) wait in the lobby and there's at least 100 people there. THey're all pushing towards the escalator while the guard is standing there telling us that none of us are allowed to go up - the mall is connected through the second floor. Shawn decides he'll go around to one of hte other entrances and hopes its closer.

Chaos. Something happens and I see people running past the guard, one by one people are cramming towards the escalator. I run back and hop on the elevator to the 2nd floor. It's too late though, there's about 50 people in front of me. I call Shawn and tell him the news, he then tells me that Joel and the guy are in the mall! They're first in line! what? Time to adapt, I tell him I'm gonna go meet him there cuz there's no way I can get in from the hotel. Thanh and I go around the mall and we see that Au Bon Pain is open and there are people inside. The manager lets us in and we go through to the mall to the SONY STORE! There's already 40 people there, what the hell? How did they all get in? We line up and man the people behind us are making a ruckus. See, the people behind us are the same people from the hotel lobby. Outfoxed! That could've been me on the other side of the gate! I'm worried though, as I hear people say that there are 40-100 ps3s. I hope there's more than 40, nothing I can do but stand around now.

The Police.
Uh oh, this is dumb. The police are in teh building yelling at everyone with their megaphone. "EVERYONE GET OUT NOW, THERE IS NO LINE, GO OUTSIDE NOW". Actually it's one big fat man who can be found here:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/11/18/playstation_3_hopefuls_overwhelm_mall/

I'm pretty bitter. Everyone laughs cuz htey think it's a joke but then the line starts to fall apart and people start leaving. I'm standing behind trying to ask the police why they're pushing people out. No one was doing anything wrong, we were actually pretty organized. That guy in the picture, the same stupid fat man who I'd like to punch in the face really hard because he can't do anything in life except eat donuts so he has to assert himself through a megaphone walks up to me and yells at me to get out. One of the police man pushes me and threatens to cuff me if I resist so I start walking out. THe police continue to yell at everyone to get out of hte lobby of the hotel. Either we wait outside or wait in our rooms, if we refuse then they'll kick us out whether we're a guest or not. Did they follow through? I don't know but I go back up to my room and try to think about what we can do.

Shawn's frustrated. He's about to go to bed, it's 7am. He gets a phone call from Joel - somehow the kid was allowed to stay and he got a bracelet! That bracelet means he has a ps3 on reserve. It's his! We have one! Wow. I sitll want one though and I'm trying ot figure out what to do. Well the mall is open and I go in from the other entrance and hang around up top to take a look at the sony store. Fast forward it's 8am and i'm walking past the store. I see a group of people being led by the guard and I quickly stop and start to trail behind. They all enter the store and I'm about to walk in until one of the guards stops me "hey, is he in too?" NO! WHY DID YOU SAY SOMETHING. I get stopped and I'm not allowed in. I was so close =/ That's 2 slick moves denied.

So we got a ps3...at an expensive cost. Remember how Joel and the guy were left in the dark? Well teh guard thought he heard policeman come by so he ran out. But eventually he came back and got them to the line. When the police kicked everyone out, he told them that they were with him so they got to stay.

That service cost us $200.
We also paid Joel $200 for going through it all and getting us a ps3.
Hotel Room: $250
PS3 - $600
total spent: $1400.

Did we sell the ps3? Nope. Prices dropped under 2k so we're holding onto it now and seeing what happens. It's frustrating that it fell and that at this moment we're losing money but...I'm not too mad. It was an interesting experience, and a sad/shocking one. Some people there definitely lost some of their sanity. You could feel the animalistic side of humanity in that room. People just controlled by some invisible force that pushes them forward to grab one of these machines. I never want to be in that state where I'm just lost. That mob attitude, it's sick.

Poker, don't fail me now. I never want to be hungry.

On that note, I've motivated myself. Sometime this year, I want to take a $1,000 vacation and go enjoy a trip in the Caribbean. I'm starting to put in big hours again. The goal is working, I'm back :)

bankroll: 3.3+

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"animilastic" sad. Yet true. Of how people react in situations. Out right. Selfish!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Michael Song said...

lol

i can't really put it in words. There's just something about it that's really depressing. Is it the selfishness? I don't know. It's something about that beast that they become. That look in their eye where for that moment, they've become something else. They've lost their original identity.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter