Monday, July 31, 2006

temper temper

whooo, I almost lost a 1000 today, that would have been most upsetting.

I finally worked my br two nights ago to 2050. Come Sunday morning, I play for a few hours and lose a few hundred. How upsetting. I then played some pool w/my friend and lost 40-60 to him and that got me upset. Stubbornly, I sat down at my laptop and decided to make back at least that 60.

I definitely didn't want to play limit so I played NL. hour goes by and I think I lost several more hundred, leaving me w/400 in liquid cash. So I sat down at a short handed 400nl game, which soon became heads up, hit a set and doubled up. Yayyy. But now I needed to make that 60! So I took a break, returned, played some more 200 and 400 nl, pulled a few moves and made back the 60.

Boy am I irresponsible. A part of me today wanted to go broke, wishing I had a job where I could easily rack up 2-5k so I could play some no limit. I really need to control myself =/ That's why I think it's a good idea to have a 2nd bankroll that u wouldn't mind playing from incase you ever pull a stupid stunt like me and go broke. I do have to say though, despite my idiocy, I was really proud of the way I played. For the most part, I didn't play like someone afraid to lose his/her money. I played aggressively and practically fearlessly. The last hand that I played at the 400nl, it was heads up between me and the small blind, and I felt he was making a move since he suddenly showed such aggression.

I had 8,10suited and the flop was 6 8 5. I bet 45 into a $60 pot and he quickly raised it to 118, which i called. The turn was a 3d (all rainbow) and I pushed all in for my remaining $300. I have no idea what he had but I felt he definitely couldn't call me with top pair and would def. have trouble calling me even with pocket aces. Plus, I thought about it, and the way I played the hand was pretty weird, calling flop raise and going all in on the turn? Depending on your mood and understanding of how I play, that could easily be perceived as a power play. But who wants to donk off an extra $300 on a guess? Good thing he didn't :D

Poker is brutal guys. Which reminds me, remember Mike Cunningham? For those of you who don't know, he's this 30? year old track coach who quit to pursue the life of a poker player. From what I understand, he had this confidence from beating his home poker game on a consistent basis. I really did not like Mike at all. I never met the man and he may be a friendly cool guy but from what I've read in his blog, I grew to dislike him more and more and I'll give my reasons.

1) He quit being a coach to pursue poker? Why couldn't he just take a sabatical/semester off to give it a shot?
2) Did he really think all Vegas players wouldn't be better than the guys he played in his home game?
3) Did he really have to move to Vegas? Why couldn't have he tried it online first? It makes so much more sense economically.
4) This one hit me the hardest. He would donk around the 1/2 no limit games and I think the 2/4 limit game? For someone who hadn't proven himself, I found that arrogance and recklessness to be highly annoying.

I can understand that it's easy to get carried away, I get carried away as well, but you can't treat money like it's nothing, at least if you don't have that much in the first place! Oh well, he went broke and I truly wish him the best in finding a job and living a life he'll be happy with.

Man poker is brutal. Come on variance! Lemme win 2k! Gimme the chance to play 3/6 short handed games again!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whts the url to his blog? I remember readin it a while back ago. Didn't he sit w/ his whole bank roll @ a 50-100 nl or was it a 25 -50 NL game?!? Same dude? Details please! =) thnx!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Michael Song said...

it used to be mikecunningham.blogspot.com but he took it down and someone else took the site.

his new blog is http://pokerworldrecord.blogspot.com/ but it's kinda useless imo

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter