Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Monotonous Grinding

First of all, I'd like to thank Jarno for his post regarding how even dropping down limits may improve my game. While I'm not a big believer in that, I did try something a few days ago.
I wrote earlier in my 1st post that I'm a big believer in Bankroll Management and that I personally prefer to have 1000bbs per limit I play. Well, this week I hadn't been playing my A game, dropped 120bbs, and just didn't feel very confident. I also have felt, and still do sometimes feel bored with poker, which is a very bratty thing of me to say. It took a lot of hard work and effort to get this far. I sometimes envy those geniuses who jump up the limits so quickly but oh well, to each his own.
Anyhow, a few days ago I looked at AP and saw that there were a lot of 10/20 games going, and they looked pretty juicy...so I jumped in! Already I didn't feel comfortable as I dreaded the thought of dropping another 100bbs at a HIGHER limit so I decided to play as long as I felt comfortable....20 mins = 168 hands heh. Regardless of the results of that quick session, I felt cured! I played my A game again! The pressure of it got to me. I focused hard, thought about the hands as logically as I could and didn't make any loose A high calls. Every move I made, I felt was +ev or reasonable. Didn't get out of hand, made some money, and just stuck with correct play. In a recent video that Stox put up in his HU session w/thebryce, he mentions that he prefers to stick to a correct approach to the game with a few moves here and there, rather than the converse of that. That kind of style has been working really well for me last week, and I guess I got caught up in the monotonous grinding @ 5/10 that I forgot to stick to that approach. Instead I had gotten paranoid that people were bluffing me left and right, etc. etc. which eventually led to a -120bb drop.
But I'm back on my feet and kicking up steam :) The quick 10/20 session really did help me as it kept me in line and made me realize that if I get bluffed once or twice, it's alright because in the longterm, I still make more money than a monkey who bluffs too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter