Thursday, March 15, 2007

Gotta be Hungry!

I just saw Rocky III last night, for the first time. I liked it a lot. I think it's cool how he brought back Apollo for II and III. The movie reminded me of two things. One is that, to win big, you gotta be hungry. You can rely on luck etc. and hope something big comes your way, but that's a loser's mentality. Work hard, play hard. Make your own destiny. Achieve your goals. I forgot what that's like. Right now I'm just floating along, playing some poker, but mostly just video games. I gotta work hard again, gotta feel hungry. I'm not rich, so what am I lounging around for? :/

But, I am running good in poker right now :) See graph for details. Multiply Big Bets won by 10 and you have a pretty good sense of what's going on right now.

http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=irungooddi3.jpg

Yesterday was my biggest winning day. $1300, more accurately 1288, but 1300 looks cooler :) And how do I feel about it? I did'nt feel a thing. Seriously. When I saw my account, I said "holy shit!" but otherwise, nothing. I don't know, maybe I'm just subconsciously expecting to win? I'm honestly not focusing on the money itself. I'm focusing on playing good, making the correct moves, etc. If a bad beat starts to get to me, I immediately finish up my orbits and take a good 30 min. break or however long I need. Play some video games, shoot up some baddies, clear my head, and get back into cards.

Bankroll: 9.5k :D 11.5 if I don't go to cancun :D :D :D But I wanna go!

The 2nd part that the movie reminded me was the whole "eye of the tiger" concept, which is that desire/obsession to win. If you're a competitive person, you may have felt that at some point where you can't lose, you just can't. You have to win, you will sacrifice everything you have to win. In poker, something very similar to that is required. When you have that desire and ferocity, you're fearless. You're not afraid to make mistakes, really, you don't make mistakes. Your sense are sharp, you're very aware, knowing when they're weak and not.

Winning in poker isn't about sledgehammering away, which makes it kind of tough. It's not like basketball where you can just wake up and start dunking away. It's a lot of jabbing until your opponent falls into the trap, then bam! uppercut! :D Really it is. Feelings cannot be brought to the table.

Someone last night said to me that they need to hit heaters like me. While I agree that I am on a hot run right now, I don't attribute all of it to just that. I'm also playing very well, although I've made a few mistakes I'm not happy about, but for the most part, I'm playing better than before and I think my style right now is causing people to tilt, which is earning me more monies that I should be getting. Just look at this hand for example:

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
5 players

I am hero with Jh 9h

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with Jh 9h

UTG folds, CO raises, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 6s 7h Js (6.6SB, 3 players)Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: Jd (3.3BB, 3 players)Hero bets, CO folds, Button calls.

River: Ad (5.3BB, 2 players)Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, Hero calls

I wanted to cap but I was so confused by his play that I thought he really could've slowplayed AJ. Anyhow, he showed A3.

There have been A LOT of bad plays at 5/10 and I'm just raking in the benefits by playing good solid ABC poker. GOOD SOLID ABC POKER. That's all you need.

-Mike

Below are some more examples of poor plays I've encountered this week:

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10 6 players
Pre-flop: (6 players) MikeySong is UTG+1 with 7d ad UTG raises, MikeySong 3-bets, 4 folds, UTG calls.

This is probably the only time I've 3bet someone with a marginal hand. I've played many hands with this villain and he's verrrrrry fishy. Calling with K high vs him is correct.

Flop: 8h 2c 3s (7.6SB, 2 players)UTG bets, MikeySong calls.

Turn: 5d (4.8BB, 2 players)UTG bets, MikeySong calls.

River: 8s (6.8BB, 2 players)UTG bets, MikeySong calls.

Results: Final pot: 8.8BB

UTG Shows Jh 9d
MikeySong Shows 7d Ad

Same Villain, this time he's in the SB

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10 6 players

Pre-flop: (6 players) MikeySong is BB with 8s 8d

UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, 2 folds, SB calls, MikeySong calls.
3betting doesn't knock anyone out, so I call to evaluate the flop.

Flop: 4h 3d 4d (6SB, 3 players)SB checks, MikeySong bets, UTG+1 calls, SB raises, MikeySong calls, UTG+1 calls.
I bet hoping utg+1 would raise to knock sb out, I also get a feel for his hand.

Turn: 3c (6BB, 3 players)SB bets, MikeySong calls, UTG+1 calls.
Its very hard to put SB on a hand due to his crazy play, so I don't want to raise just to knockout utg+1 as SB MAY have a hand or not. It's too hard to tell. So i'll take it easy and call down.

River: 2h (9BB, 3 players)SB bets, MikeySong calls, UTG+1 calls.

Results: Final pot: 12BB
SB Shows Qh 6h
MikeySong Shows 8s 8d

In hindsight, I think I should've raised somewhere on that flop to knock UTG+1 out cuz it's obvious he was drawing to overs. At the time I was afraid he had a higher pp or something, stupid stupid. Given his action on the flop, he had Ace high.

Limit Holdem Ring game Limit: $5/$10 6 players

Pre-flop: (6 players) MikeySong is BB with 3d 4d

UTG raises, 3 folds, SB calls, MikeySong calls.

Flop: 3s :10h 4c (6SB, 3 players)SB bets, MikeySong calls, UTG raises, SB 3-bets, MikeySong caps, UTG calls, SB calls.

Turn: jh (9BB, 3 players)SB bets, MikeySong raises, UTG folds, SB 3-bets, MikeySong calls.

River: 5d (15BB, 2 players)SB bets, MikeySong calls.

Results: Final pot: 17 BB
SB Shows Ah Js
MikeySong Shows 3d 4d

SB should've 3bet preflop as it would've knocked me out. I don't like his donkbet on the flop vs 2 others. My cap on the flop is questionable. I can wait til the turn and evaluate what the play is, for instance if a 10 hits, I'm probably counter-feited. But I decided to cap the flop so I can get a feel for where I am.

Turn: have to raise. If UTG 3bets there, after all the action I've given, I would call and fold the river Unimproved, due to teh fact that I have odds at this point to suckout a fullhouse if I'm drawing live.

As played, SB's 3bet on the turn is just spew. It's bad. I capped flop and raised him on the turn, his top pair can't be that good given my action. But he 3bet me so I have to give him credit for something strong. Can I fold two pair in this pot? hellll no.

Good thing I didn't either :)

The Blind Battle

Limit Holdem Ring game Limit: $5/$10 6 players

Pre-flop: (6 players) MikeySong is BB with 5s ac
4 folds, SB raises, MikeySong calls.

Flop: 2s 8s 4c (4SB, 2 players)SB bets, MikeySong calls.

Turn: 8d (3BB, 2 players)SB bets, MikeySong calls.

River: 3h (5BB, 2 players)SB bets, MikeySong raises, SB 3-bets, MikeySong caps, SB calls.

Results: Final pot: 13BB
MikeySong Shows 5s Ac
SB shows KK

I normally 3bet in that spot but I decided to play it differently. I don't think I had any conscious reason to, I just felt that it was time to mix it up. Given the flop, I decided it woudl be good to just call down.

River - only cards that beats me is 5,6 and a boat. I'm feeling very good about my hand so capparoo. Boat is possible but I just don't feel that he has a low set. It jsut wasn't that likely and I'm ahead here more often than not.

If I was SB with KK, I would've called the raise, even vs. the maniac from a few hands ago, I'd probably just call. I could've been slowplaying the trips or the straight. How can you 3bet with just an overpair?

Obv. I got lucky in this hand, but he made a huge mistake on the river so I'm gold. Also, A high in blind battles wins its share often enough. Just calling instead of 3betting shows my opponents that I'll mix it up, and hopefully it'll scare them to back off my blinds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter