Monday, May 15, 2006

Vacation!!!

I'm currently vacationing in Korea right now. If you haven't guessed, I am Asian. I didn't choose mikeySONG because I like to sing a lot, it just happens to be my last name, although I do like singing! Just not in public D:

Not going to play much poker while I'm here, if any at all. So what am I doing? Well, yesterday I went to the mall......and today I finally started Go lessons. Go (in Korean it's called Baduk) is a 19x19 board with black and white stones. The object of the game is to conquer as much territory as possible...man, I'm getting spanked by these 9 year olds. It's embarrassing but by the time I come back from Korea, I hope to be able to play them evenly. I've been playing w/3 and 4 stone handicaps...the only win today came from a super clutch move by me where I ended up killing off the guy's entire base. I was annoyed though, in anguish, the little boy clenched the stones in his hands and messed up the board. Bastard, I wanted to see by how much I won! Oh well, Life...

I hate that expression "that's life." Is it odd that I feel I have more control over poker than anything else at this moment? For instance, a little something today made me upset and the first thing I thought was "I wanna play some Sit N Gos, at least I can push people around."
Holy crap! I'm a bully!! D: Theoretically, if you invest your time and effort into something, you should be happy no matter the outcome? Ugh, I hate that, so why do I play poker? I'll answer that in part B), I don't want to digress.

Another example, so let's say you put all your energy into a girl, or a guy, and the outcome is - I'm sorry but I can't date you. Uh, are you honestly going to be happy even though theoretically you should? HELL NO. You're doing all you can to hold back those tears baby!!! Well, there are some who'll just let em flow but for the most part, you're fighting to save some pride. But hey, "that's Life." Annoying isn't it? I love you - sorry but I don't. *proceed to clench fist and smile* "Don't be sorry, that's life"

blehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

B) - so why play poker if you can't control the outcome? At least if you consistently go in with the best of it, over the long run you'll come out on top. One situation doesn't ruin your life (unless you put your whole broll at stake!) I don't believe in the "plenty of fish in the sea" expression. I hate it, it implies that whomever you choose isn't that unique, that there is no special person in your life, that if she or he dies, you can go find another one. It's a horrible expression. Only people so involved in mathematical logic would make that argument. There are times when you meet someone and you decide, I want to be with that person for the rest of my life. There may be "better," whatever that's supposed to mean but the person in front of me is interesting and irresistible; life is not boring when I'm with the her and I don't want to be away from her. I'm happy with whom I'm with and I don't want another.

You know who else would abide by the plenty of fish in the sea argument? pimps and whores. Grossssssss.

You know what, when something goes wrong, you can't really complain though. In the end, all you can say is "that's life." You have to make good with what you can.

That's a huge concept in Go. I love it. It's so interesting because so many new situations come up. There isn't just one way to play, each stone you put down creates a new situation, a new option. Although I think I'm sacrificing too many stones due to bad play, it's still a lot of fun to try and improve each situation. That's how you learn anyways, through lots of mistakes.

If the best way to learn is through mistakes, why try to be perfect? Why not constantly make errors and find new solutions in areas where situations are limitless?




Because there's nothing like beating your opponent to the ground, proving your dominance and prowess at the game, showing him that in that world, you are truly untouchable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter