Saturday, December 29, 2007

Some thoughts

I hope to make this a decently sized entry, one not too long but not too short so that it makes for an entertaining read.

So no limit has been going pretty rough for me. I'm enjoying lhe again although it is pretty tilting from time to time.

I played a session this morning on the 28th and in this particular session, I happened to be much more focused. I was doing a better job of pinning villains on hands but the biggest factor was that I was not forcing the action. I wasn't trying to two barrel everyone or win every single pot. For some reason, I was just more relaxed and I just went with the flow. Whatever happened happened. That said, I still made one or two mistakes that I'm pretty annoyed about. I'll have to analyze them more carefully. But for the most part, flow is a really important concept. Lately I have been overthinking a lot of situations which leads to a form of helplessness. The game becomes too hard you don't know what's correct anymore.

Writing my thoughts and explaining my style to myself is one way of doing this. Why I like to bet here and here, what I feel they accomplish, etc. It is really important not to force the action. I think that if you outclass everyone at the table, you can go ahead and force it profitably but you have to be really honest with yourself about it. I was not and overlooked a very important concept.

I did book a small winning session today and while it may seem and may be possible that I'm trying to find something to attribute this downswing to, ignoring flow, for the most part, I truly do believe this was a big mistake I made and could have helped reduce a lot of the money that was lost on the tables this week.

I am not good enough to outplay everyone. However I am good enough to play with everyone.

Thus, I am a winner and will continue to play profitably and most importantly, confidently.

mikey

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So basically it comes down to;
play with confidence but don't be overconfident

5:51 AM  
Blogger Michael Song said...

that's part of it yes.

It's more about being flexible, going with the way the table is going.

Bruce Lee said it best:
Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting quote. I might print that and stick it to my screen while playing.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

blog counter